Kale, Heirloom Red Russian Kale Seeds
- Delivery Available with Online Checkout
- Not Available In-store at Colchester Mackey's
- Not Available In-store at Willimantic Mackey's
- Not Available In-store at Woodstock Mackey's
The most tender of kales, with a mild, sweet flavor.
- Great for micro-greens.
- Heirloom variety introduced by Siberian traders in the mid-1800's.
- Hardiest and most tender of the kales.
- Blue-green, fruity oak leaves are veined in purple red with red stems.
- Height = 18-36 inches.
SPECIFICS: (see below for complete sowing information)
- SEED DEPTH: 1/4 inch
- SEED SPACING: 6-10 inches apart in rows 30 inches apart
- EMERGES: 7-10 days
- MATURES: 50 days
- Plant seeds outdoors in rich soil as soon as the ground can be worked.
- Can be planted as late as August for winter crop.
- Plant in rows 30 inches apart, spacing 6-10 inches within rows.
- Cover with 1/4 inch fine soil.
- Germinated in 7-10 days depending on soil and weather conditions.
- When plants are 4 inches high, thin or transplant 18 inches apart in the row.
- Cold weather and frost sweetens the flavor and turns the entire plant a deeper purple.
- Rich in vitamins and calcium.
- Harvested through the winter with mulch protection.