Gourds, Birdhouse Gourd Seeds
- Delivery Available with Online Checkout
- Not Available In-store at Colchester Mackey's
- Not Available In-store at Willimantic Mackey's
- Not Available In-store at Woodstock Mackey's
Birdhouse gourds (also known as Dipper Gourds) make ideal homes for many kinds of birds once dried.
- Easy to grow on fences or trellises.
SPECIFICS: (see below for complete sowing information)
- SEED DEPTH: 1/2 inch
- SEED SPACING: 4 inches
- EMERGES: 10-15 days
- MATURES: 100-120 days
- Plant seed outdoors in a sunny location after danger of frost is past.
- Can start indoors 4-6 weeks earlier.
- While they can be planted in hills, like squash or pumpkins, best results are obtained when supported.
- Plant in rows 4 inches apart.
- Cover seed with 1/2 inch of soil, well pressed down.
- Germinated in 10-15 days depending on soil and weather conditions.
- When plants are 1-2 inches high, thin to 12-16 inches apart in the row.
- Will tolerate light frost so allow to dry on the vine as long as possible.
- They are completely dry when you can hear the seeds rattle inside when shaken.
- To make a birdhouse, drill a hole 1-1 1/2 diameter and a few tiny holes in the bottom for drainage.
- For longer lasting birdhouse varnish or shellac.