Fennel, Bronze Fennel Seeds
- Delivery Available with Online Checkout
- Not Available In-store at Colchester Mackey's
- Not Available In-store at Willimantic Mackey's
- Not Available In-store at Woodstock Mackey's
This deep bronze to purple for of annual fennel is really a short lived perennial.
- Tall feathery fronds smell and taste of anise.
- Beautiful in floral arrangements.
- Grown in clumps, they become an edible accent in any garden.
- Yellow umbel flowers produce the fennel seed prized in the kitchen.
- Attracts butterflies.
SPECIFICS: (see below for complete sowing information)
- SEED DEPTH: thin (see SOWING)
- SEED SPACING: 5-10 seeds per clumps 4 feet apart
- EMERGES: 10-15 days
- MATURES: 65 days
- Plant seeds where you want the plant to remain as they do not transplant well.
- Plant in spring after all danger of frost has passed.
- Plant 5-10 seeds per desired clump in rich garden soil.
- Keep evenly moist until seeds start to grow.
- Germinated in 10-15 days depending on soil and weather conditions.
- Clumps should be 4 feet apart at maturity.
- Fennel, parsley, dill and carrots are host plants for the Black Swallowtail Butterfly. Look for the black and green striped caterpillar with yellow spots. Watch it grow, make a chrysalis and morph into one of the most beautiful butterflies in North America.
- Plant enough to share with these caterpillars.