Cucumber, Heritage Cucumber Seeds (Straight 8)
- Delivery Available with Online Checkout
- Not Available In-store at Colchester Mackey's
- Not Available In-store at Willimantic Mackey's
- Not Available In-store at Woodstock Mackey's
An All-America Selections Gold Medal winner in 1935, Straight 8 is still quite popular today as it is early and highly productive.
- Vigorous vines produce an abundance of 8 inch x 2 inch long, uniform, dark green smooth, slightly striped fruit with white spines.
- Resistant to mosaic.
SPECIFICS: (see below for complete sowing information)
- SEED DEPTH: 1/2 inch
- SEED SPACING: 4-6 seeds in rows 4-6 feet apart
- EMERGES: 8-12 days
- MATURES: 63 days
- Plant seed outdoors in late spring when ground is warm and danger of frost is past.
- Plant in rows 15 inches apart spacing seed 1/2 inch apart in the row.
- Traditionally planted in hill, a small circular group of 4-6 seeds.
- Can be planted in rows 4-6 feet apart.
- Cover seed with 1/2 inch of fine soil, well pressed down.
- Keep moist until seeds sprout.
- Can be planted until mid-July.
- Germinated in 8-12 days depending on soil and weather conditions.
- When plants are 2-3 inches high, thin hills to 3 or 4 strongest plants.
- In generations past, vegetables were chosen for their exceptional flavor.
- Hart Seed Co., still family owned since 1892, has endeavored to reintroduce those varieties to the home gardener.