Annual Flower, Amaranthus, Heritage Heirloom Love-Lies-Bleeding Amaranthus Flower Seeds
- Delivery Available with Online Checkout
- Not Available In-store at Colchester Mackey's
- Not Available In-store at Willimantic Mackey's
- Not Available In-store at Woodstock Mackey's
Originating in the Incan Empire, Amaranth has been grown as grain for over 4000 years.
- Was used in ancient religious ceremonies and worn by knights to symbolize purity and truth.
- Fast growing.
- Long weeping wine red trusses of flowers and seed 18 inches long drape toward the ground.
- Tassels may be dried and used in autumn arrangements.
- Young leaves may be steamed or sauteed like spinach and eaten.
SPECIFICS: (see below for complete sowing information)
- SEED DEPTH: Pressed (see SOWING)
- SEED SPACING: Scattered (see SOWING)
- EMERGES: 10-15 days
- MATURE HEIGHT: 3-5 feet (may need staking)
- Plant outdoors in late spring in full sun after danger of frost is past.
- Can start indoors 4-6 weeks earlier.
- Press seeds into soil.
- Cover lightly.
- Prefers rich well-drained soil.
- Germinated in 10-15 days depending on soil and weather conditions.
- Thin or transplant 18 inches apart.
- In generations past, flowers were chosen for their exceptional fragrance and beauty.
- Hart Seed Co., still family owned since 1892, has endeavored to reintroduce the best of these heirloom varieties to today's gardeners.